Founded in 1717, The Presbytery of Philadelphia is the oldest Presbyterian corporate entity in the United States and home to some of the oldest Presbyterian churches in our nation. Our story is deeply rooted in both American and Presbyterian history, illustrating faithfulness and courage throughout our 300-year heritage.
From 1946 until 2011, the Presbytery of Philadelphia was housed in a downtown historical building at the corner of 22nd and Locust. The Presbytery of Philadelphia, after a period of prayer and discernment, sold the long-time office to purchase a new building in the middle of the historic Mt. Airy neighborhood. This intentional relocation of the Presbytery office has enhanced our ability to serve congregational leadership and host gatherings that empower our churches throughout the Greater Philadelphia area. The current building, located at Stenton and Gowen Avenues, houses staff offices, small meeting rooms, sacred chapel, and a large boardroom with a Smartboard, large tables, comfortable chairs, a room divider, and wireless internet access.
The ministry legacy of the Presbytery of Philadelphia transcends brick and mortar. We are a network of disciples eager to abide and dwell together as we build towards God’s future already here and still to come. Our leadership have constructed art studios for children, developed restorative justice initiatives, funded hunger programs, advocated for reconciliation in our communities, discipled children and youth, hosted ESL classes, jump started social enterprises, hosted seminary interns, and birthed new worshipping communities. As we trust God’s Spirit and follow Christ into tomorrow, we do so with the same faithfulness and courage from which we started.